Our Summer School Program
Our Summer School Program
Summer School at Hillside is an opportunity to complete a full year course in five weeks, with no compromise in what is learned. We achieve this with an innovative format that has proved both effective and popular. Summer school involves a commitment by both students and parents. Because of the intensive nature of the summer school course, students must be willing to spend considerable out-of-class time on homework, projects and other coursework in order to succeed. For this reason families must not schedule an overlapping vacation or other activities that would result in excessive absences.
SUMMER SCHOOL - 2023:
Admission to Summer School is by application, and on a first-come, first-served basis.
- View the 2023 SUMMER SCHOOL SCHEDULE online here.
- Fill out this Registration Form or the link under the Resources tab above.
- Payments by check can be dropped off in the locked box on the north side of the building near the staircase or mailed directly to 4331 Oak Grove Drive, La Cañada, CA 91011.
- Payments by credit card may be called into the school: 818.790.3044.
- For more information, please email Christie Wood-Elcik or call the school at 818.790.3044.
ONLINE CLASS POLICIES:
The Hillside School’s online classes are formatted with both in-class virtual (Zoom) and online instruction and assessment (eg. Google Classroom, Canvas).
-have an electronic device (tablet, computer, etc.) to access the course.
-have a student email account and reliable access to the internet. (eg. do not use LCHS emails)
-fully participate in virtual meetings with audio and video available for maximum engagement.
- 3 tardies is equivalent to 1 absence.
- Missing more than 15 minutes of a class is an absence.
- Hybrid Science Courses: No in-person meeting absences permitted.
- In-Person & Online Courses: 2 absences permitted if taking full year course, 1 absence permitted if taking only a semester (ex: US History A)
- If Covid positive is confirmed by a lab test or Hillside test, student absence will be excused.
Additional Summer School Information:
- A 5-student minimum may be required for a class to run
- In-person classes may change to be online classes due to unforeseen circumstances due to COVID-19
- Please note if any class is WAITLISTED, there is a possibility another session will open if there is a demand. So please complete the online registration form to reserve a spot if one becomes available
- Hillside summer courses are UC approved and are fully accredited. We still recommend families check with their home high school before registering to ensure the school will accept the credits
- LCHS students – please be sure to complete this Outside Course Credit Approval Form for La Canada High School
- 1st semester drop dates: “W” after June 16th, “NC” (no credit) after June 23rd
- 2nd semester drop dates: “W” after July 5th, “NC” (no credit) after July 12th